Monday, November 30, 2009

November 30, 2009

Ava got her first kitchen burn this afternoon - cooking her own scrambled eggs. She loves to cook, and is great at cracking open eggs! Never gets any shell into the eggs in the bowl, and she's really proud of that. She's been making her own scrambled eggs (under supervision) for a few months now, and so when she decided that's what she wanted for supper tonight, she said, "I'll make them!!!"

It happened just as I was pouring the mixed egg into her little frying pan - she has her own one-egg pan - she reached out to pull the pan closer to her, by the side instead of the handle, and it had been heating up on medium. She quickly pulled her hand away, and at first I didn't think she had made contact, but then after a few seconds she began to tell me that it hurt, and then the tears came.

Sure enough, the skin on her left ring finger between the nail and the knuckle was all red, with a little whitish stripe where the edge of the pan had touched the skin. Not sure how that particular finger had been the one to get burned! We put a bag of frozen veggies on it while we dug out the Bactine. I told her that this happens to everyone that cooks (I happened to have three places on my hands where, between the woodstove and Thanksgiving, I have burns!), and that she was a very good cook and very brave. She looked up at me with tears rolling down her cheeks and said, "But I'm just a little kid and I'm not very brave when I get hurt..."

No comments:

Post a Comment