Sunday, November 22, 2009

November 20, 2009

So Ava came to our bed at around 1am like she always does, and she woke me at 7am, stroking my face with her soft little hand - I opened my eyes to see her beautiful face smiling at me from about 3" away. Then we started talking, with our heads still on the pillows, and somehow it came around to family - all of her uncles - and we counted how many of them were pilots (3). She said, "I love Uncle Steve", and I said, "I do, too - he's my brother, just like you have a brother - Justin!" Then I said, "And Aunt Brenda is my sister - but you don't have a sister..." She was quiet for a minute, then said, "Hellooooo... you always share with me...." Which made me burst out laughing - "You mean you want me to share my sister with you???" She closed her eyes, got a smug little smile, and nodded. So now Aunt Brenda has another sister!

Then, with our heads still on the pillows, she said, "I'm getting hungry..." I asked her what she wanted for breakfast, and she said, "You know, the cereal that we can make cookies with, except we're not making cookies, we're putting it in a bowl..." Rice Krispies it is!

She had been looking forward to Jennifer and Andrew taking us to Bradbury Mountain, but then we found out Craig was coming, too (Andrew's best friend), and then she wasn't so happy about going, especially when she found out she'd be sitting in the back seat between the two eight-year-olds. And she had a right to be nervous - they had her in tears on the ride by tossing her teddy bear between the two of them...

When we got there, they charged up the mountain even though she asked them to wait for her, and they wouldn't... So she got pretty grumpy about the whole thing - wouldn't let me take her picture with them at the summit, wouldn't walk down by herself so I had to carry her... When we got to the picnic area, she wouldn't eat with us - sat on a nearby stump with her hood pulled down over her head, hiding from us. A little boy toddled over and started poking at her - I don't think he knew what she was!! Jennifer and I were cracking up - poor Ava.

She did rouse herself enough to go on the swings for a while, and a time or two down the slides, but she really wanted to go home, so we gathered up the wild boys and hit the road. I started to worry that she wasn't feeling well, because she's never grumpy like that without a reason. Sure enough, as soon as we got home she put herself to sleep watching Ice Age 3 on the DVD player in her room.

When she woke up, I noticed that her tongue and inside of her cheeks were covered with sores - she breaks out in mouth sores whenever she gets stressed out. I think the ordeal Thursday of Nannie picking her up at Gram and Gramp's (she was scared to go with Nannie, until of course she was with Nannie) to pick me up at the airport, and then she was upset about the day with Andrew and Craig - a couple of days of stress = mouth sores. I started her on some strawberry-flavored tylenol.

She had a hard time settling down to sleep, and finally gave it up about 10:30, tucked in between Gaffer and me in our bed. She started crying around 2am, and was hot. I took her into the bathroom - her temp was almost 101, so we did some more tylenol, had a drink of water, went pee, and got some cold juice to take back to bed, and she slept well until almost 9 on Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment